Re: [NTLK] Alignment problems

From: Frank Gruendel <newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de>
Date: Thu Aug 31 2006 - 15:43:36 EDT

> AFAICS, the consensus is that my MP needs to have the digitizer
replaced.

Not necessarily. There is an (albeit remote) chance that this might be
caused
by dirt between the screen and the bezel. Disassembling the Newton and
cleaning
this area thoroughly is something you might want to try if you feel up
to the
dis- and reassembly.

> That means either I have to send Newt off to someone who knows how to
> dismantle Newtie and replace the digitizer, or I need to do it myself.

Yep...

> Normally I'd be happy to jump in there and have a go at it myself, but
if I
> screw up it means I'm de-Newted -- a fate worse than death.

For a start, if you had to choose, I'd be almost willing to bet that
you'd
decide on being de-Newted rather than dead ;-)
Apart from that, it is almost impossible to screw up so thoroughly that
a Newton
is beyond repair.

> OTOH, the repair places seem to be in the USA, and I'm in the UK.

Well, there's this guy in Germany who does occasionally fix Newtons,
too. Only
a little more than one hour of flight time away from you ;-)

I do have a handful of displays that do not have jaggies and almost no
alignment
problem (you won't find very many that do not show the alignment problem
at all),
but they do not exactly look new. Some I even have to polish to make
them nice
to look at again.

If you can't fix it yourself, I could probably help you. Shipping a
Newton back
at cost Germany -> UK is EUR 6.00 (no insurance, entirely your risk) or
EUR 11.85 (insured with EUR 200.00).

If you are not so much into HWR and drawing, but mostly tap on the
screen, and
if you want to keep things really cheap, I could put in one
of my digitizers that have no misalignment, but a severe case of the
jaggies.

Cheers

Frank