Re: [NTLK] MP130 LCD/backlight units -- success

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Aug 31 2006 - 14:44:16 EDT

On 8/31/06, Tom Zahm <tpzahm@newted.org> wrote:
> After some delays, I've managed to get back to my MP130. I installed a
> new LCD/backlight unit using Frank Gruendel's wonderful illustrated
> instructions at www.pda--soft.de. The dear old thing is now much
> brighter than before. I've also proved to myself that these units
> work.

Tom,

I'm glad to know that you are a capable (possible) Newton Repair
person.. ;-) eh?!!! I'm sure the Continental US and North America can
use more able repair persons for such repairs!

I'm especially glad that your Newton is now FULLY functional and able
to instill joy in your day!

> BTW, I still have about a dozen 3Com 589-series ethernet pcmcia cards
> with "dongles" (the small cable that connects the card to your RJ-45
> line). The cards are used, but tested good in my MP200 and the
> "dongles" are new. Cost: $5 USD delivered by 1st class mail, $8 USD
> by Priority Mail.

Hmm, come people - IF you need a wire Ethernet connection this is a great card!

> P. S. To Doc Clu -- I've read on the list that they *will* work in an
> MP120 (no backlight, tho), but I have no personal experience with that.

Again I attest to the fact that these will work, I've opened my Harris
SuperTech 2000 and internally it's a MP120 I believe with back lit LCD
assembly very similar to these replacement parts that Tom has - Only
difference I can see are the back light connection cables and the
COLOR of the back light... I too a photo of my ST2K and it's more of a
Blueish hue than the OEM Green...

I believe they should be functional - this by viewing the LCD assembly
through the Clear Case of my two MP110 Clear Cases....

Man it would have been neat to have a back lit MP110 clear case :(

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung