Re: [NTLK] Illiad: New hardware platform?

From: Eric Sinclair <esinclai_at_pobox.com>
Date: Wed Aug 30 2006 - 23:36:12 EDT

On Aug 30, 2006, at 4:18 PM, maynard@jmg.com wrote:

> I'm not impressed. Sony has an eInk based ebook reader coming on
> the
> market too. However, this product, unlike Sony's, will at least
> read PDFs
> and html. And then there's the 650 Euro price. Though if it had
> better dpi
> and good fonts I could accept the price. Also, what about
> annotation? It
> takes pen input (unlike the Sony) but nothing in the specs about
> annotation? Huh? Annotation is critical for me. It's one of the killer
> features of the Newton book reader. --M

Agreed on the annotation. However, Sony has said (in their press and
in an interview at

   http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7273

that the reader will support unencrypted .pdf. And .rtf - but,
curiously, NOT html.

The refresh on all these devices is the real loss for any Einstein-
ium functionality, but they may prove useful for content review.

I played with an Illiad the other day, actually - it was nifty, but
not compelling at the price, in part because the UI was a bit clunky
imho. Clever, but clunky.

-Eric, brooding over a response to the sync thread

--
esinclai@pobox.com                           aim/skype: esinclai
http://www.kittyjoyce.com/eric/log/    jabber: esinclai_at_gmail.com