Re: [NTLK] Experience with NewtSync and a suggestion

From: Sonya Hipper <sonyalynn_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed Aug 30 2006 - 21:49:25 EDT

Hi all,

Norman Palardy wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2006, at 4:35 PM, Javier Monllor wrote:
>
>> 1. We could set up a Paypal account where the money would be stored
>> until the app is developed. <SNIP>
>
> Heck I'd volunteer to handle this. I have handled this sort of
> thing before for the list (we purchased replacement backlights) I
> think I have a history that suggests I'd be trustworthy

I'd happily trust Norman. My Newton's spiffy new backlight is
testament to this. :-)

My bet is others on this list would also trust Norman.

>> 2. Setting up a web-page is a great idea and I would be happy to host
>> it and create it.

Well done, Tovi!

>> 3. We need to make a list of features the app MUST have beforehand.
>
> OS X on Intel

...and PPC. So would have to be a Universal app, at least on the Mac
side.

If this were a DCL-based "NCU replacement"-like solution, that might
make the development effort more portable for the "computer-side" app
(she said, acting like she knows anything about app development). And
if we're supporting translating from Newton's Names and Dates format
to vCard and iCalendar for Address Book & iCal on Mac OS X, that
basically gives us sync to the Mozilla suite or Thunderbird+Sunbird
on Mac, Win, and *nix pretty easily, I should think, since that's the
format they also use for contacts and calendars. Honestly, Outlook's
proprietary format is the troublesome one, but I agree with the
since it's the de facto standard on that platform.

And syncing Notes to a directory of .txt or .rtf files like TextSync
does is a very platform-agnostic solution since all platforms use
directories and files. :-P

Much as I hate to say it for selfish reasons. that right there makes
a very strong case for a standalone Newt-syncing app developed in
code readily portable to OS X, Unix/Linux, and Windows instead of
something like an iSync conduit (*le sigh*). But coding in something
platform-agnostic like C++ gives us that without having to resort to
Java and its evil slowness. (Doesn't XCode allow for "portable"
development...something readily recompiled for Win or Lin? Again,
exposing my development ignorance...)

Clearly, a cross-platform developer is necessary, anyway. :-)

Do we have any on here?

-Sonya

==
     "I urge you all today, especially today during these
times of chaos and war, to love yourself without reservations
and to love each other without restraint. Unless you're into
leather. And then, by all means, use restraints."
                                                 —Margaret Cho

Sonya Hipper
sonyalynn@earthlink.net
AIM: SonyaLynn