Re: [NTLK] Illiad: New hardware platform?

From: Cerebus <cerebus2_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Aug 30 2006 - 18:44:46 EDT

On 8/30/06, maynard@jmg.com <maynard@jmg.com> wrote:

> Yeah. eInk looked like a serious contender five years back when the
> technology was still in development. But the slow refresh time, mediocre
> resolution, B&W only display technology, and energy consumption comparable
> to B&W LCD shows that this technology is not appropriate for handheld
> computing. I mean, two seconds on average per pageturn? It might be great
> for billboard advertising though.

Lately I've become more enthusiastic about the new LCD display
developed for the OLPC project--200dpi 1200x900 B&W / 800x600 color,
LED backlit or reflective in either mode, 0.2 watt max consumption in
B&W and 1.0 watt max in color, and can be fabricated on existing LCD
production lines... It's beyond evolutionary.

-- Tim