Re: [NTLK] modifying battery cage; was -> Re: NiMH batteries and connectivity

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Aug 28 2006 - 23:17:37 EDT

On 8/28/06, Roman Pixell [GMail] <roman.pixell@gmail.com> wrote:
> does anyone remember how one can modify the battery cage in order to
> make regular NIMH cells charge in the newton just like a std battery
> pack from apple would charge? this would be really useful, because
> you could then use the newt as a battery charger!

Hi Roman,

Shoot me an email off list and I'll try to give you what I have and
also point you to a special set of photos I have of this modification.
I'll see if I have the links to Daniel's site or the alternate site I
found which is an Achive.org copy because the URL is long dead...

> i have a nikon coolpix 950, which is compatible with newton/tibet
> (yes got the ser-001 too) but the camera is quite hungry on
> batteries. it would be really useful to have the camera batteries
> charged in the newton. the coolpix uses four AA cells, just like the
> newt.

I quite agree with you that the Newton does act well as a charger for
the Nikon CoolPix 950. I have the same camera which I purchased after
meeting up with Ronnie and Elizabeth when they were in NYC after WWNC
#1. She shared with me about her use of the Nikon with her Newton...
From what I've read the Nikon CoolPix 4500 also can be used with the
Newton also through a special Serial Cable but unfortunately the
battery pack in this model are not AA but a special Nikon pack :(

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung