[NTLK] Infrared troubles

From: Marcus Hammerschmitt <Marcus.Hammerschmitt_at_t-online.de>
Date: Wed Aug 16 2006 - 17:25:49 EDT

Hi all!

What I'm talking about here:

- A 2100 with Neo, Nitro, and OBeX installed, all in the latest versions.

- A generic XP-box with XP SP1 on it. No IR-support out of the box. Therefore I had to install some cheapo IR-adapter which goes by the name of MA-620 (USB-stick form factor and interface). The drivers responsible for this beauty are called irenum.sys and MA620.sys and reside in windows/system32/drivers just as they should. In the device manager it's all there: an IR-device connecting via USB posing as serial (or the other way round, whichever comes first). In the control panel you can control that thing like you wouldn't believe: even the connection speed is at the tip of your fingers. Praise the divine being of your choice.

- Last and least: a very dated laptop, called the Compaq Armada 1575D with Win98SE on it. This piece is simply stunning. On good days it might even do internet. In respect to IR it completely rules. Everything built in, and it works too.

Symptoms of disease: I can do only half of what I want. Which isn't good because I want so little: could I send text back and forth between the 2100 and the XP-box please? I don't want ring tones. I don't want syncing. I don't want TCP/IP. Just text. Here comes the funny part: I can send text to the XP box to my heart's content. It's fast, simple, convenient and feels almost like beaming into Word. Just to make a point I HWRed this very text during a short trip by train and IrDAed it to the PC after coming home, no problem at all. But I can't receive. First everything is fine. Newt looks for sender. PC wooshes. Newt pings. Instead of proper reception, I get an error message . It aptly states the machines have lost connection. And it says

IrOBEX
Accept Error -38505:
Connection lost
Check the "UseOBEX:IrXfer Setting"

Which is funny, because I've already done that. It was required to get Newt and Compaq talking. In fact it made them talk like true friends. Not so with the XP box. I check and uncheck, I fiddle with connection speeds. No dice. Then I look for another driver. Big mistake. IrCOMM2K

http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/~kiszka/IrCOMM2k/download.html

crashes the XP box the hardest I've seen in years. Three hours later I'm back to square one. That's when I can confirm by experiment that XP box and the Armada

Can anybody here show me the way? Eckhart? Please?

Best,

Marcus