Re: [NTLK] Mad Newton

From: Adam Ladds <aladds_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat Aug 12 2006 - 07:35:06 EDT

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 at 21:57:27 -0400, "Sonny Hung"
<sonnyhung@gmail.com> wrote:

> One other thought would be to purchase a NIC Connector and fabricate
> your own adapter. I wish I had the facilities to do this type of
> fabrication cause I enjoy tinkering alot. But the NIC Connectors are a
> bit pricey, when you do find them and then there is the need to used a
> good soldering iron for the fine detailed work.

I have found that there are several other connectors which work with
the newton connector, I'll have to check but I believe it is the
charger plug for old sagem and old panasonic mobile phones, I think I
ended up getting a panasonic plug from Maplin for about £2, the only
problem was that although the connector has the same pin pitch, it
isn't as long, so you only get about 75% of the pins in the plug, but
it is usually enough to connect what you want, for instance mine has
a sound out jack, it's got the mono sound sent to both channels and
it does work with a set of headphones although it's a little quiet.
The best thing with it is that it doesn't go into the plug as far as
the proper ones, and it has a plastic outer to the plug, so if it
were to get hit it probably wouldn't damage the interconnect port on
the mobo, it does also work on my eMate, although it's not as loud as
the proper sound out jack, and thus slightly pointless, but it does
prevent over-amplification when playing it through a stereo.

If you break your newton using the wrong pitched connectors it's not
my fault, do be careful when trying different connectors and check
the pitch with a ruler or something a little more accurate before
putting it in the newton, I had to cut and reshape the connector a
little before it would properly fit, and remove the original locking
pins on the sides. It was also a LOT easier to solder wires onto as
every other pin has a connection on the other side of the back of the
plug, so you twice as much space to work with.

Good luck!

Adam--