Re: [NTLK] A programming question (Newton as a controller for an electric motor)

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Sat Aug 12 2006 - 02:28:52 EDT

On Aug 11, 2006, at 7:12 AM, Chris Browder wrote:

> I do not appreciate your hostility, Marty.
Sorry! Didn't have such a great day, and I was overly ready for bed
when I posted (woops). Although I still think it's a bad idea...
> Might I ask why you think cruise is a dumb idea?
I don't think using the Newton to control it is a good idea, since
the Newton might decide to do garabage collection while you are
accelerating, for example. The Newton is many things to many people,
but it seems very doubtful to me that it's suitable for real time
control.
> Seems applying constant power wouldn't be a
> difficult issue, and with ANY vehicle, a constant RPM uses the least
> fuel (regardless of the type of fuel in question).
Cruise control doesn't work like that. The speed of the engine (or
motor) has to be varied in order to attempt to keep the vehicle
velocity constant.

Sorry about the negativity, but this really doesn't seem to me like
a good idea.

Then again, I don't like Volkswagens either ;~)

Marty