[NTLK] Can a 120 (with NIE1 installed) store and beam NIE2?

From: G. Isten <gisela_at_tariffenet.it>
Date: Mon Aug 07 2006 - 20:48:43 EDT

Hello everybody,

I've been reading all things Newtonian that I could find, in German, Italian and English, but for the life of me I can't find mention of anything that answers my query: Will I ever be able to get a NIE1-equipped 120 to beam NIE2 packages to a 2100?

Background: Bootstrapping problem. I (could kick myself because I) put my 2100's serial dongle in a (very) safe place, and now I can't find it. I *know* it's here somewhere, but... in the meantime I need to find an alternative way to get the ethernet software onto the 2100.

I borrowed a colleague's Newton that I knew had a serial port, planning to use it to load the ethernet stuff I need on my flashcard, which I would then use in my 2100. Well, my friend's Newton turned out to be a 120, and that doesn't take 16 M flash cards -- and I don't own a 4 M card.

Next plan: Load what I need onto the 120, then beam things over individually to my 2100. This approach is dreadfully slow, but it did indeed work -- up to a point. I got Inet Enabler and Inet Setup across fine, I also managed to beam over the drivers and patches for the Ethernet card [supported type, known to have worked] as well as NewtonDevices, but the 120 doesn't like the rest of the software (http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/EthernetDrivers). When I tried loading [from a G4 (Panther), with Escale, via a serial Keyspan hook-up] those NIE2 packages onto the 120 (NOS2), at the end of the process the 120 balked and informed me that the software I was trying to install was not compatible. I had hoped it would perhaps complain but still store the packages and let me beam 'em over to the 2100 afterwards, but it didn't...

Just thought of that now: If I beamed over the 120's NIE1 software, would that work on the 2100?

Well, folks, thanks for your patience. Looks like I've found a way to keep myself off the streets for while! :-)

Cheers,

Gisela

PS: Any Italians on this list willing to lend me a preloaded card?