Re: [NTLK] MP2k not 'charging': just 'waiting' ?

From: Woody Smith <woodysmith_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu Aug 03 2006 - 01:04:18 EDT

It is likely that the battery pack is dead or dying.
in my experience the prolonged waiting message is accompanied by the
charging system sending short bursts of higher current till the
battery pack gets to some critical voltage.
Use Frank's Newt Test or Avi's backdrop to see what your starting
voltage is and monitor the temperature and charging process.
If the battery reaches a critical temp before the cells reach the
minimum voltage it stops trying and may give some error message, if
the temp stays below that critical point it may just keep trying.
Don't put the whole Newt in the fridg. just the battery pack, this
does sometimes help, but in your case if you are a regular user and
this problem has suddenly started I suspect that one of the cells is
in bad shape,
As to whether the temp sensor is bad, the use of newt Test or Avi's
backdrop will give you some clues
These packs can be re-celled
see <http://www.pda-soft.de/index.html>
Woody