Re: [NTLK] wifi driver?

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Apr 25 2006 - 09:32:39 EDT

On 4/25/06, Victor Rehorst <victor@newtontalk.net> wrote:
> Sonny Hung wrote:
> > Does anyone else on the list recall seeing at one-time in the PAST
> > that Hiroshi actually offered the WiFi Driver Software as open source?
>
> No. However the Hiroshi's driver itself is based on an old-ish version of
> the BSD wifi driver.

Hi Victor & etal,

To bad I can not find the original link I was referring to in my prior
post, but I was able to track this one down (with a condensed
statement) which mentioned it. The prior one stated it a bit more
clearly. (maybe not open sourced but it was opened as stated in this
location).

<Excerpt below from the website found on www.archive.org>

Website: http://homepage1.nifty.com/driver/eng/newte.htm
http://web.archive.org/web/20010416012538/http://homepage1.nifty.com/driver/eng/newte.htm

<Clip>
Newton
Project sources
09/16/2000
I opened project sources of my all Newton products, because I became
busy and I have no time to develop for Newton.
All sources are not supported at all. So I won't reply for any questions. Sorry.
TDK Ethernet
Misc Ethernet
WaveLAN
<Clip>

Hiroshi, please consider gifting the rights to the code to the WNA
(Worldwide Newton Association)
I would suggest that the WNA take over the old and new registrations.
They could accept donations for the driver and a portion of the monies
(if legal) forwarded to Hiroshi. This would enable the continued use
of the WiFi Drivers and also compensate Hiroshi for the development
time he has invested already.

Sorry 'bout the rambling... it's not really a problem for me since I
have licenses, but for those still entering the Newton WiFi Scene I
understand the frustration...

Correct me IF I'm wrong in my understanding.

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung