Re: [NTLK] finding nicks softcharge problems

From: Woody Smith <woodysmith_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun Apr 16 2006 - 02:08:28 EDT

Ryan
I have reviewed your recent posts and am a little confused. The only
batteries that you should charge in the Newton 2x00 series are NiMH
cells, in a Newton battery pac or in an appropriately modified
battery tray.

So if a Newton battery pac is installed it will assume NiMH.
Nick's SoftCharge is used when the battery tray has either NiMH or
Nicad cells that are charged in an external charger. Since the 2x00
assumes Alkaline cells in the battery tray you get an inaccurate
reading of the discharge state, Nick's SoftCharge will correct this.
There is no software hack to allow charging of batteries in the
battery tray. And it would not be safe to override the hardware
safety devices.

see Frank Gruendel's rebuild (both safety devices used)
< http://www.pda-soft.de/mp2k_battery_pack.html> or
Daniel Padilla's tray modification (only one safety device used)
< http://dev.newtontalk.net/~dpadilla/battery.htm> or
  Sonny Hung's tray modification (both safety devices used)
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonnyhung/109000751/in/
set-72057594074185913/>

Woody