[NTLK] Old-school Newton tools on Intel Macs?

From: Michael Blazer <m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca>
Date: Thu Apr 06 2006 - 21:18:32 EDT

For those who like to use the old Apple connectivity tools for Newton
(mainly NCU), the loss of Classic on the Intel Macs is a little
inconvenient. (Well, it would be if I had one, which I probably will
... someday.)

But now that Apple officially allows booting Intel Macs into Windows XP
("Boot Camp" public beta, for those who haven't followed the story),
maybe there's now a way to keep using those old tools on the Intel Macs
well into the future -- by using the Windows version. (I know,
rebooting into a different OS isn't quite as convenient as running
Classic in OS X, but for some people it might be preferable to keeping a
separate machine around just to feed your Newton.)

I have no experience with Newton connectivity on Windows XP -- is it
good? Am I right or sadly deluded to think that this will be an
adequate replacement for the Classic tools? I know there's no AppleTalk
and hence no Ethernet on NCU for Windows, but will everything else be
pretty much the same? Any reason it wouldn't work on an Intel Mac?

Michael