[NTLK] Spreading the word

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 14:28:41 PDT

Just posted the following evangelistic rant on the OSX List, curious to
see what the responses will be <G>:

ORIGINAL POST FROM AN OSX LIST MEMEBER:
____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____
9/20/05 Dennis Stein issued the following and I have taken literary
license to pass it along on a "Need to Know Basis" . . .

>I removed the batteries( AAA in the m100) waited 1/2 hour, performed 6
soft resets in a row, put the batteries back in, and--- lo and
behold---- it worked!

MY RESPONSE TO DENIS'S POST:
____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____
MY GOD, Is this really what it's come to?

Would you tolerate this kind of behavior from your _car_ or your TV set?

How long have PDA's been out in the market now, 5, 10, 15 YEARS!

I've given up forever on any PDA other than the one and only . . . .

Newton. ;-)

Sorry if this post is a little off topic, but, there are native Tiger
apps that interface with Newtons. There is an entire community and
culture ongoing to perpetuate the greatest PDA operating system ever
envisioned. No kidding. Some things were just too far ahead of their
time. After fidgeting, squinting, and trying to loose weight so my
fingers could touch those tiny pin-head keys I finally realized that
we've only taken three steps forward, and two back! I sold my Treo 650
on eBay, and bought up a stable of Newton 2100's at a fraction of the
price. If you are open minded you may want to take a look at what good
design can accomplish, albeit I admit, the Newton division of Apple had
to be amputated to save the patient, at the time. What a shame.
Nonetheless, you'd be awe stricken by the capabilities of these
visionary devices. And yes, there are even ways to use this technology
with OSX, hence I'd say my post is [hopefully] "on" topic. Worth
investigating, or at least a second look.

Handwriting recognition in printing or cursive _without_ using
Grafitti? .....yes.
Battery life more than a few days? ......yes, try a few weeks.
Web Browsing? ......yah
WiFi? ......yah
Ability to fax and print? .....yup
Record voice memos? ......uh huh
Operate in Portrait or Landscape mode? ......yepper
FlashCard slots? ......yes
irda beaming? ......yup
Install packages (applications) from Tiger? .....yes, sir
Give you crystal clear display under the blazing sun, or in the darkest
closet? .....again, yup
Draw architectural shapes for contractors on a construction site? ....yes
Bar code & key code read? ......sure, no problem
Built to last? ......a lifetime
Manual? ......don't need it, the Newton user interface is that intuitive
Batteries running low? ......just pop in standard AA batteries
Form Factor? ......no need to use tweezers to type out the bible on
the head of a pin!

Take a look.

They're the hottest item going on eBay. Just type in "Newton Apple" and
you'll see what I'm talking about. The market is heating up again.
Something's in the works ;-)

Oh yes, one more thing, about a gazillion rock-solid stable time-tested
applications are still available, many or most are freeware.

Guess where the "new" OSX handwriting recognition came
from ;-) ....that's right!

The more things change the more they stay the same.

You don't have to get caught up on the treadmill running full-tilt going
nowhere when all you ever needed was already there <g>

peace, just a little food for thought.

<http://www.1234zzzz.com/pub/LapStandupdt.jpg>
<http://www.1234zzzz.com/pub/LapStand.jpg>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Newton>