Re: [NTLK] Argh! Screen breakage...

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sun Sep 18 2005 - 15:15:57 PDT

> Damn. It had to happen. I've had this machine for 8
> some years and it fell today in just such a way as
> to shatter the screen.

Argh. I'm feeling with you.

> It's a 2000, but I can move the ROM from the 2100
> that broke into the 2000 that didn't.

You could of course move the ROM, but this wouldn't help
you in the least. The ROM is on a daughterboard, and it
is is the same in the 2000 and the 2100.

> I've done the job once before (great online help,

If you have really done this, you probably did it to change
the OS language. You wouldn't be able to turn a 2000 into
a 2100 that way.

> I offload my brain onto my Newton. I suppose I'm not
> alone.

Nope, you aren't. Except for the fact that in my case
I do not offload my brain. The Newton _is_ my brain.

What you should do is either put the 2100 mainboard
of the broken Newton into your 2000 (very easy) or
put the 2000's display into your 2100 Newton (marginally
more difficult). I would do this for the cost of shipping
back if you let me keep what is left. My spare parts
level is getting dangerously low...

Good luck

Frank