Re: [NTLK] Newbie Help is available

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Sep 06 2005 - 06:17:03 PDT

Good. This was my intent, to open up a line of communication for
those of us who are sympathetic to the ongoing high-level discussions
on this incredible List. What a resource it is, indeed.

As you state however, there is a reluctant respect for the seasoned
member for a new user to ask "stupid" fundamental questions. I guess
this is how it should be, but then where can the new user begin?
That was my biggest problem. The information was all there right in
front of me but I could not "see" it. It was to vast, complex, and
totally overwhelming. Now, after several weeks of paying my learning
curve dues I get it. How stupid of me not to see the obvious. Every
post to the list clearly shows the appropriate links at the footer
for just about all the help you could need, but alas, even going to
the UNNA site left my head spinning as I did not really even know
"what I was looking for". As I go back now and reread may of the
pages it "now" makes perfect sense. But the first couple of days were
agonizing and frustrating beyond belief. How easy it is for us all
to forget we once knew nothing because we now know it all ;-)

So, again I extend my private email address OceanCity_at_mac.com to
anyone who wants help but is reluctant to bog done the seriously
advanced discussions on the List. Remember that some list members are
reading all this on their Newtons, and other in the Digest form,
which can be overwhelming in itself I am sure.

As with everything in life a fair balance must be realized. It's up
to each of us to police our posts.

Email me at OceanCity_at_mac.com if you don't want to tie up the LIst
bandwidth and I'll do my best to help. Perhaps there should be a
short list of half a dozen or so members who are willing to handle
fundamental questions on a regular basis. I for one will be glad to
help in this regard, if for no other reason than to repay those who
were kind enough on the list to have helped me.

John