Re: [NTLK] Cracked u2100 case: No battery connection

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Sep 05 2005 - 08:38:00 PDT

On Sep 5, 2005, at 11:20 AM, Frederick Bauman wrote:
> If I squeeze or twist the case I can get it to partially accept
> the battery for a few seconds, but then it goes back to not seeing it.

I would appear ostensibly that the visible crack in the casing of the
Newton may be just what you can see with your eyes in the case. Most
likely, there is a broken or intermittent electrical circuit or
connection within the casing involving a wire or the printed circuit
board, both, or a component.

Not for the faint of heart, but if you are handy you'll want to open
up the case and look around, assuming that is you have proven that
it's not just something as simple as the battery cartridge, the
batteries, or the contacts therein. If you are lucky you may "see" a
crack or something on the printed circuit board that could be
patched, re-soldered, etc. Or maybe it's a loose plug connection, or
a broken wire. Sometimes you can "see" with the naked eye the
problem. You may have to go further, but since this seems to be
battery related start at the battery connections and work your way to
the logic board, looking and testing all the way.