Re: [NTLK] No more Type 10 error, but less hair

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Sun Sep 04 2005 - 12:25:40 PDT

On Sep 4, 2005, at 5:46 AM, John Hay wrote:

> Thanks Marty for you patience. I'm stuck just stuck getting all the
> fundamentals to sing in harmony. Your kind assistance has been
> invaluable and I appreciate all the time you took to lend a helping
> hand.
>
> At this moment, I believe I have a faulty NCU install.
> I'll try re-installing NCU.
Try booting with the shift key held down first. This will disable all
extensions. If then you can fire up NCU (It will complain about
missing stuff, but see if the menu bar appears).

If the menu show with extensions disabled, go to the extension manager
(apple menu/extensions) and turn off everything you don't really
need...
> I'm running Classic 9.2.2 which I believe is the last most recent
> version of classic on a test-bench setup devoted entirely to
> establishing the best possible Newton to PowerMac legacy hardwired
> connection.
Truthfully it's the last, but as far as Newton is concerned, I don't
know. The NCU utility is from an older hardware/software era. Still
as far as I know that should work.

Did you update your NCU to 1.0? I think the updater is on UNA also?
This might be a brain fart on my part?
> As you know I am thwarted at every turn, but numb to the
> pain form decades of the like and know that it's just a matter of
> perseverance and there's some silly little glitch gumming up the
> works along the chain of communication between the Newt and the Mac.
>
> It's the story of my life.
Sorry to hear that.

> Nothing's ever easy. Everything goes wrong. I get up the next day
> and start all over. I keep getting up until I get it right ;-)
That's good. At least you're hardened to it by now. Imagine if for a
while everything went smoothly and then this started happening.

> For some reason it's normally the "simple" little things that get in
> my way. I'm able to deal with complex issues and see right through
> them, but in this case I've obviously overlooked what would be
> apparent to a anyone else, or just my normal streak of bad luck.
I don't really think so at this point although I did yesterday. The
NCU starting without a menu bar showing is weird. Is it opening the
window where it shows it's different activities?

> So I wanted to thank you again for you help and your patience, along
> with everyone else's too. This is a great group and I am a sincere
> user.

No Problem,
Marty