Re: [NTLK] Getting Things Done (GTD)

From: Thomas Meigen (t.meigen_at_augenklinik.uni-wuerzburg.de)
Date: Fri Sep 02 2005 - 01:31:47 PDT

Michael,

thanks for your response. It is very interesting to see how
everyone has his/her specific needs. I forgot to mention
that I also gave Blueprint a try... but stopped rather soon.
Perhaps I should have a look on it again. The main disadvantage
for me was the missing "horizontal overview" of the different
projects that are of interest in the moment. As you say you might
export the tasks to the Dates application and get the horizontal
overview there. However, there is no linkage between those two
tasks - one in Blueprint and one in Dates. If for any reason you
shift the task in Blueprint (and Blueprint does this very nicely
for all tasks within Blueprint), your tasks in the Dates
application are not updated. So this a source of confusion
and I think I would avoid to export the tasks, but loosing the
the overview across the different projects.

 From my point of view, Blueprint is a good way to organize
some larger projects and to deal with the dependencies between different
parts and deadlines within these projects. My situation as a
scientist has more to do with 50-100 small projects from giving
different talks at conferences, doing lectures, developing
software, organizing collaborations, getting research funds.
The major purpose of trying to use GTD for me is to be reminded
at the appropriate time and to get the project "out of my head"
as long as possible (but not too long). The situation is very different
for larger projects (writing publications, organizing a research
project) where a software like Blueprint might be very helpful.

Thomas