[NTLK] OT magic smoke WAS: Newtsync - MacJournal - fixed

From: William Pociengel (hseldon_at_my.wgu.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 31 2005 - 19:21:18 PST

Norman Palardy wrote:
> On Oct 31, 2005, at 6:47 PM, William Pociengel wrote:
>

>>Paul Jerry wrote:
>>
>>>I think this falls under the "now-it-magically-seems-to-work"
>>>category of computing science.
>>
>>thats why you have sysadmins, to ensure that the smoke stays IN the
>>hardware. Once the smoke gets out it will stop working.
>

> Electronics are obviously using different colored smoke for different
> components.
> Sometimes you can let out nice blue stuff and the things is dead ASAP
yeah this is the pixie stuff, not real powerful but they usually do some
little bity critical thingy.
> Sometimes a little puff of white and it ... well .... it's dead
yeah those are the fairies
> Grey is my favorite. It usually pours out and they must scent that
> stuff as well
ahhh well I can't really tell you this part or I'll sure lose my admin
standing, but hint - hint, you might want to count the number of
sysadmins before this occurance and after. you might be in for a surprise!

but now when the fire deamons come out it's even more uh interesting ;-)
then ya need a little bit of the kill -9 or the famous
sync,sync,sync;shutdown -F now

william

--
special knowledge can be a terrible disadvantage if it leads you too far
along a path that you cannot explain anymore.