[NTLK]

From: Sonya Hipper (sonyalynn_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Oct 31 2005 - 11:09:49 PST

Brian (et al),

OK...then how would the Mac or PC know that there's gonna be a =20
"serial" signal coming in over the USB? Wouldn't you have to write =20
some sort of software to create the virtual serial port that the =20
existing Newt apps (NCU, NewTen, Escale, etc.) would recognize as =20
something they can use, kind of like the Keyspan software does? Or =20
are you maybe thinking to try to make the USB-001 compatible with the =20=

Keyspan software so as to not have to re-invent the wheel, so to speak?

Inquiring minds want to know!
-Sonya

Brian wrote:

> The USB-001 will do the following:
>
> The board will convert the serial signal into a USB signal thus =20
> enabling any
> USB connection to properly function with the newton hardware. Newton
> Connection Utilities should still function as it did when used with =20=

> a serial
> port. I will not be able to confirm compatibility with the new =20
> Intel Based
> Mac's. The newton will believe that the USB connection is actually =20
> a serial
> connection by the time the signal is received by the Newton =20
> motherboard.
> This type of board would also (in theory) enable one to connect a USB
> keyboard to the newton and have it recognized. I have not tested =20
> this so I
> cannot confirm but it will be included in testing once prototypes =20
> have been
> made.
>
> There are already products on the market that enable a newton user =20
> to do
> this although the cables are externally connected to the newton =20
> through a
> series of gender changes and adapters. Keyspan makes such a device =20
> as does
> Belkin and a host of other companies. The goal of this product is =20
> simply to
> internalize all of these 'external' adapters thereby making the the
> connection more seamless and easier to use.
>
> The board would theoretically function with a large number of USB =20
> devices
> besides the obvious advantages of being able to connect to USB only =20=

> Mac's
> and more frequently USB only PC's.
>
> I would welcome further questions, comments (both positive and =20
> negative) as
> well as suggestions. The list provides what most designers would =20
> dream of,
> that being a sounding board for ideas before production to ensure that
> anything that is produced is successful.

=3D=3D
     "I urge you all today, especially today during these
times of chaos and war, to love yourself without reservations
and to love each other without restraint. Unless you're into
leather. And then, by all means, use restraints."
                                                 =97Margaret Cho

Sonya Hipper
sonyalynn_at_earthlink.net
AIM: SonyaLynn