Re: [NTLK] Data transfer to Mac Tiger 10.3x

From: Don V. Zahniser (irntooth_at_eznet.net)
Date: Mon Oct 31 2005 - 03:50:53 PST

Michael C. Wittmann wrote:
>Works documents go really easily to Word readable .rtf files. Though
>other files read .rtf, only Word seems to keep the embedded image
>files in your Works document.

If you are running Classic to have NCU, here are some options that I
have tested using Mac OS 9.0.4 on my PB1400:

 - Works documents with embedded graphics open just fine in Corel
Wordperfect (the free version) and AppleWorks 5. AppleWorks 6 doesn't
recognize exported Works documents as readable on my system. I think
the key here is to use a program that recognizes the Claris XTND
translators (which you would have installed with NCU anyway).

- Notes with embedded shapes, sketches, and ink text open & display fine
in AppleWorks 5, AppleWorks 6 and Mariner Write 2.1. Any graphics
objects are missing when these are opened in Corel Wordperfect.

- Although it's possible to copy/paste Works drawing objects into Notes,
and then transfer, these do not quite display properly when opened in my
word processors. Specifically, if I have put a text caption in the Works
drawing object, it is 'lost in translation'. IIRC, patterns are also
lost or mangled.

>I have never had success with QuickFigure spreadsheets. Maybe others
>can help out there - you most likely require a version of Excel that
>reads the right macros, and newer versions no longer do that.

I have sucessfully brought QuickFigure Works spreadsheets into
AppleWorks 6 by emailing them to my Mac, or exporting them via the
"Desktop" transport. Before opening them in a spreadsheet, it's
necessary to strip out a leading tab character in all 'rows' using a
text editor/word processor so that the cell references are valid.
There may also be a need to replace some function names, but the
formulas do transfer(!).

 - Don

--
Don V. Zahniser