Re: [NTLK] Serial port addition

From: Brian Hunter (hunterbri_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 28 2005 - 00:39:38 PDT

Hello Newton Users,
Born Again to the list, but long time user. I obtained my Newton 2000 back
in 1998. I used to read the list religiously a few years ago but dropped off
with all the unrelated chat that used to circulate.

I am a designer by trade and my question relates to whether or not there is
any significant interest on the list for producing a USB internal board
similar to the SER-001, but obviously connecting via USB. I have long
considered manufacturing something like this and with continuing sparsity of
serial ports out in the world felt that it may be a good time to made a
focused effort to develop such a beast. There are some significant
advantages to USB including:

-ability to charge the unit through the USB port
-connection to the wake pin, so upon USB connection the newton 'wakes'
-faster sync (possibly utilizing the entire 230kbps serial standard)

Once again, I would like to know if anyone is interested in something like
this being produced. Please email me at: hunterbri_at_gmail.com with the
subject "USB is 4 Me".

Depending on the interest, I will further update the list as to my plans as
well as the most important aspect of such a board: the cost.

Sincerest Thanks!
Brian.