[NTLK] [ANN] Halloween Challenge -- The Horror, oh, the Horror!

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon Oct 24 2005 - 11:56:12 PDT

Let's have some hearty Halloween-horror together!

I challenge you one and all singlehandedly to:

-- find public domain or Creative Commons-licensed horror books or
stories and newtify them (Matt, Woody, Dan, myself and the rest of the
usual suspects will be sure to help with any questions not covered here
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/MakeNewtonEbooksIndex or
in the manuals) -- if yer too clumsy to find suitable targets, drop me
a line...

-- create your own scary backdrop images that are CC-licensed or free
(check flickr or elsewhere) for use with popular backdrop packages

-- create blood-freezing and hair-raising sound collections to be used
as Halloween-system/alarm sounds etc. (for the events that you can
assign sounds to and how, see
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/ChangeSystemSounds -- any
additional tricks appreciated!). You could even make several
horror-themed sound sets (like ghost stuff, monster stuff, haunted
house/cemetary, best horror screams). If you need any sources of such
audio stuff cos ye too clumsy fer Google or have misplaced yer clanking
ball-'n'-chain and that screaming lady, drop me a line, I'll be
horrified to help!

-- make Newton sing yer favorite monster songs
(http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/MakeNewtonSing). Get the
lyrics and see how you can make Newtie sing... Bet its gonny be pretty
monstrous! ;=}

Drop that gruesome bone yer gnawing on, switch off that ghastly
Tell-O-Vishun home-lobotomization device, put yer hot cocoa and the
other evil substances away and be creative! Do something
fear-inspiring! Give Newtonia a scare! Horror, y'all!

I'll be thrilled to collect in the family crypt of the Newton
Temporary Library any stuff sent to me or made available otherwise.
Pls. add a short
About.txt describing your submission, and feel free to announce it here
at NTLK, too!

One week to go to Halloween, so git cracking... Who's gonna be the much
most scariest Newtonian?

Your fearless Librainian,

DJ Ghoulkasko

P.S.: For inspiration see
http://www.oddiooverplay.com/ears/hallowseve/index.html for brilliant
do-cd compilation -- quite a scream! ;=}
http://www.vinylorphanage.com/talentshow.html - British horror audio!
http://solcofn.com/Halloween.htm -- Monster Mash(up)!
http://drmysterian.com/blog.html -- great selection incl. zombie
calypso! Cold shivers down yer spine, everybody! ;=}

P.P.S.: Talking about sound... SysPatch 0.5b
http://download.planetnewton.com/download/Util/Security20.htm by
Hongkong's
Richard C.L. Li claims to do something regarding "Global sound
functions",
whatever that means.
Q: Could somebody pls. investigate?
Q: What's that Patch improving, anyway?