Re: [NTLK] Defragging Newton

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Thu Oct 13 2005 - 10:17:09 PDT

> No, I don't think so. The Newton will let you know when it wants a
> reset ;) What I *do* do as a sort of housekeeping is to back-up to
> card (actually I make at least two backups), hard-reset & restore
> once or twice a year. It might be placebo but the Newt does feel
> snappier afterwards.
>
> Oliver

Basically if you aren't having a problem, you don't need to do a reset.
  I sometimes do a soft reset just because a program is not quite acting
right, but then this is also the "normal" reason for doing one.

As for defraging, as oliver said, to do this you need to backup (I use
NCU, and never had a problem as some have, I also make more than one
backup to be safe) then do a "brain wipe" (hard reset) then reinstall
all your data and packages from the backup. It is not placebo because
this does defragment the memory and the Newton will respond faster after
words. Also some odd problems can be cured by this method. You will
also get some storage space back as when defragmented, the memory also
is space efficient. This can also be done with a card for the same
reasons. However backing up to from one card to another requires NCU or
other software such as SBM utilities (which is not free, but well worth it).

-Dan