Re: [NTLK] eMate 300 Battery Charge Question

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Fri Oct 07 2005 - 23:30:04 PDT

On Oct 7, 2005, at 5:07 AM, Mark O'Neil wrote:
<snip>
> I too have recently purchased a couple eMates on eBay. The batteries
> would not initially hold a charge as you state, but in my case after
> leaving them on the chargers and once per day running them until they
> shut off I am now able to run them for almost a couple hours with the
> backlight on - not stellar by any means but pretty fair for the age
> of the batteries IMHO. This process took three evenings with one and
> a week with another. Your mileage may vary.
An easy way to speed this up is by simply pulling the adapter plug and
reinserting it repeatedly. You don't necessarily need to wait from the
batts to run down. This will put the Newton into "fast charging" state
for a bit after reconnection, which seems to help old "I think I am
dead" batteries realize " I am not dead yet."

> Also if you are at all handy with a soldering iron these batteries
> can be rebuilt easily enough - there are a few instructional websites
> out there.
Yes this gets you a MUCH better battery.

> Also you might check to see if a charge is getting to the batteries.
I think that will prove to be the problem in John's case.

Marty