Re: [NTLK] operating system

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Tue Oct 04 2005 - 11:19:01 PDT

On Oct 4, 2005, at 12:46 PM, John Hay wrote:

> Why in the world has not the Newton been resurrected by the powers=20
> that be.

Actually, the NOS has a problem. I forget where I read the article on=20
the web originally, but it was with somebody who worked on the NOS for=20=

Apple and later Newton, Inc. In any case, if I can shorten the article=20=

to a nutshell, the NOS, by the time it got to 2.1 was such a=20
hacked-together system that it is really a miracle that it held=20
together as well as it did, particularly with the NIE and other=20
transports. Worse, as the Newton began to fall apart, those few who=20
knew anything about the inner working of the guts left, and all that=20
expertise was slowly lost. The interviewee, IIRC, even speculated if=20
any of the original source code for the OS was still in existence.=20
That's a scary thought, but he didn't think it would help much, also,=20
IIRC, as the System would really need a re-write to be useful today. I=20=

remember reading this article, and wondering if this was the real=20
reason that the Newton was abandoned--too cost-prohibitive to move=20
forward any further... Again, scary stuff, knowing how well it all=20
actually works! ;-)
--=20
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"If your pictures aren=92t good enough, you=92re not close enough." - =20=

Photojournalist Robert Capa