Re: [NTLK] Making a Custom Mini DIN-8M to DB-9F Serial Cable...

From: Adriano (adriano.angelillis_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 04 2005 - 06:35:39 PDT

Il giorno 02/ott/05, alle ore 23:35, Morgan Aldridge ha scritto:

I figure there's enough hardware people here that someone can probably
help me figure out how to map the Mini DIN-8 pins to those on the DB-9
so it'll work correctly on Xserves (and hopefully other devices as
well... got a couple switches and routers I could talk to too). Any
volunteers?

Hi,

first of all, consider that i have never experienced
a serial connection between a server and a router,
but i think i can be of help anyway.

I can tell you that the Xserve's serial port is exactly
the same DB9 port present on any Windows PC
(thanks to the Xserve's guide, where is showed
the complete layout of the DB9 port).

Usually the layout of a mini-din8 to DB9 cable/adapter
varies if you need a DTE or a DCE connection.

  - DTE configuration is useful to connect to printers and PCs
  - DCE configuration is useful to connect to modems (maybe routers
too?)

On Stephen's page is showed the correct layout for DTE connections,
while when a DCE connection is needed, here's a link to a page showing
the correct mini-din8 to DB9 adapter layout:
http://mama.indstate.edu/users/bones/MacPac/

After trying the above page schematics,
you can consider to solder an additional line:
from pin 7 on the Mac (mini-din8) side,
to pin 1 on the XServe (DB9) side.

-Adriano