[NTLK] Flashing Newton

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Mon Nov 28 2005 - 09:49:29 PST

Jesse Reynosa wrote...

> briefly then turns off then automatically
> starts again, it does this a couple times,
> and then turns off finally. I have performed
> all of the resets to no avail. Does anyone
> know how to fix this problem?

Sorry to be the one who conveys the bad news,
but in my experience the only fix is a replacement
of the main logic board.
What you describe is what most Newtons do after
having been connected to a third party power supply
that does not match Apple's tight specifications.
It does seem to happen in very rare cases that
Newtons develop this defect out of the blue without
having ever been connected to a wrong power adapter.

Replacing a mainboard is not very difficult, see
my disassembly page here:

    http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00_disassemble.html

If you don't feel up to doing this yourself, there
are people on this list (myself included) who can
help you.

Before you throw your old board away, please consider
throwing it in my direction. I will gladly pay for
shipping. I have spent weeks, if not months, without
success trying to find the reason for this particular
defect, and I am obsessed with finding a solution.
I am very interested in other boards that I
can have a look at.

Or, just in case someone out there is able to dig
up Dr. Newton, who knows what causes this problem...

Frank