Re: [NTLK] Native installer for NCU and OS X Update

From: James Wages (james_at_kiramek.com)
Date: Mon Nov 21 2005 - 16:44:14 PST

I myself would be happy to lend whatever expertise I can, which
unfortunately is not in the area of Mac or Newton programming. I am an
experienced Beta tester, and I worked on the documentation for SoftPress
Freeway (both English and Japanese) when version 3 was ported to Japanese
around the year 2000. I also have experience with graphic and web design.

I also feel strongly that the Newton community needs to be realistic in its
expectations as to what features this NCU replacement will have. This was
expressed by Paul in his recent post. Paul properly points out that once
these type of projects begin, everyone starts throwing out feature after
feature which brings the project ultimately to a sudden halt.

My position is "keep it simple... create a clone of NCU." Even if the look
and feel of the interface paralleled NCU, it wouldn't bother me and I would
still be willing to pay around $35-$45 for a copy. I would love to break
the 57.6kbps serial barrier and would like to use my Newton Ethernet card
with OS X, but I personally wouldn't need anything more than that. I do
have a Lucent Bronze Wavelan card, but I've never used it, and I discount
the importance. So long as Ethernet and serial are available, I'm happy.

Certainly, an interesting feature to consider is USB because of the
individual who expressed interest in building such a hardware add-on
recently. But if that functionality would delay or otherwise kill this NCU
Replacement effort, then such a feature should be abandoned or considered at
a later date.

Part of organizing any software effort like this is to set a plan in stone
prior to allowing work to begin. A deadline for completion must be set and
therefore any new and potentially frivolous features must be limited or
eliminated.

One other important consideration is that software can always be updated.
So even if USB functionality isn't in "version 1.0" it could always be added
later in a software update, which again would generate more revenue in
upgrades. Anyone who has worked in a software company or worked closely
with a software company knows this already.

The problems begin when projects are taken on by an individual hobbyist who
knows how to program but not how to organize and plan. It is also
impossible to impose any penalties on oneself for missing deadlines in such
a case. Therefore, proper management of this project is essential, which
will require more than one individual to oversee it.

So again, I am happy to lend whatever "hand" I can to make this NCU
Replacement happen on OS X.

Best,

James Wages