Re: [NTLK] More wireless talk :)

From: Sonny Hung (sonnyhung_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 17 2005 - 06:55:19 PST

On 11/17/05, Martin Joseph <martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com> wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2005, at 9:05 PM, Chris Sladky wrote:
>
> > IIRC, Apple's original Airport card, while reasonably equivalent to
> > the Buffalo one, didn't have that bulky antenna on the end, right?
> > But, as I don't own one, I can't personally confirm this.
> >
> The original Apple airport card isn't a standard PCMCIA card. so it
> won't even fit in a Newton.

Marty, I beg to differ in this opion... ;)

I have one I got for $20 and it works great in my Wallstreet G3 and it
does fit in the Newton, but of course will NOT work... I also happen
to have a WaveLAN HP variant.

One point of interest - I think the PCBs for the WaveLAN (and it
variants), the Old Airport Card and the SONY C150 are very similar. I
was able to find photos on the internet of the PCBs and it looks like
the WaveLAN PCBs have a break point and a secondary antennae spot so
that it could have been setup like the Spple & SONY. The only
differences I can see between the Apple & SONY cards are the number of
antennae connectors [(1) for the Apple Card and (2) for the SONY] and
the PCB layout because of the non-standard pin configuration Apple
card. Either of the Apple or SONY I believe can also be connect easily
to an external antennae for even better reception...

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung