[NTLK] Unable to "get internet address"

From: Michael C. Wittmann (mwittmann_at_maine.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 04:31:07 PST

Hi, all,

I am wondering what part of the process of using the web is breaking
down for me with my Newton. I have an upgraded 2000, using Courier
over a Bronze Turbo wireless card. My NIE, Newton Devices, and the
WaveLAN driver are all sitting on a card, having been allowed to be
moved by UnprotectEggs or whatever that little package is called.

When I connect with the connection slip, I get access to my router's
DHCP, and I am handed the address I want (a local one that should be
routed by the router, after all). Then, the slip "getting interent
address" comes up, and nothing happens. It hangs here.

After several seconds, it stops. I am set to never disconnect from
the internet, so I just stay connected. But I can't actually reach
out the outside world. SimpleMail (in InOut) can't resolve my mail
host name address. Newtscape won't work, either. I have an IP but I
don't have a way to get out of the system.

I am wondering if this happened because my first use of the wireless
card involved a "disconnect immediately" and I accessed the router
many many independent times, successfully, before it suddenly
stopped. So in the beginning, I got mail, read the web a bit, etc.
Now it doesn't work.

One more thing I did was try to use NCU, connecting to my laptop,
with the WaveLAN card slip saying "use for Appletalk." It didn't
work, they couldn't see each other, and I am not sure if that was
already the "can't connect" problem or was a new thing which caused
later problems. I turned that back off, but the connection hasn't
worked since.

I suspect the router "got mad" and had a setting of "too many pings
and you get restricted." Does anyone have a hint on what to do next?
I'd love to actually have access at home, after all.

Michael