Re: [NTLK] A new eMate in the offing?

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 09:57:28 PST

On Nov 15, 2005, at 8:54 AM, oliver.brose_at_t-online.de wrote:

>> From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
>> Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 07:33:19 -0500
>
>> On Nov 15, 2005, at 2:35 AM, Brian wrote:
>
>>> http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=3D1370
>

>> I won't succeed--they are still following the holy grail of open
>> source. That will kill it right away. Besides that, it's a bit too
>> utopian....
>
> While I think that equipping these 'books with OS X for free would
> have been a very good thing (from the perspective that it is supposed
> to *work*, and for *whom*) I somehow doubt that a $100 notebook could
> pack the punch for OS X, even in 2007.<snip>

This is plainly wrong. OSX runs quite nicely on a g3/900 blue and
white which uses PC100 ram etc... This is a very low target TODAY let
alone 2007. Of course there are other reasons they didn't consider
using OSX, and that is mostly the proprietary aspect of the bits above
darwin.

Marty

PS Open source isn't a bad thing. There are several high visibility
OSS projects that are succeeding quite nicely, thanks.