Re: [NTLK] Native installer for NCU and OS X Update

From: Deborah Mitchell (debbym1_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Nov 13 2005 - 17:17:58 PST

The problem is that people don't understand the time programmers have
to spend to do this sort of thing. This sort of engineering can be
especially difficult in cases like the Newton, where the original
manufacturer is unfriendly towards the orphaned product. Individuals
at Apple can be very forthcoming, but the company is not.

For comparison, many software engineers working as employees in the
US make the equivalent of $40/hr or more, and get good benefits on
top of that. Contractors who are senior engineers or who have rare
skills can easily make $80, $100 or more per hour.

Even if the software is a labor of love, support can be time-
consuming and is difficult and sometimes very annoying to give long-
distance.

As far as I'm concerned, $12 is low. I would certainly pay $20
dollars or more, myself, for something like this, and an upgrade fee
if it works with the new Intel-based Macs coming out next year.