Re: [NTLK] Expense Plus

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Sat Nov 12 2005 - 12:00:36 PST

On Nov 12, 2005, at 7:41 AM, John wrote:

> Okay, well, the printer I'm having success with is a Lexmark Optra
> E312L
> and I set my Newton to use the "HP LaserJet" Newton built-in driver,
> and
> I'm using the "Newton Print Pack Cable" dongle thing that has the round
> din plug at one end that plugs into my Newton 2100 and then runs trough
> the serial cable to a centronix type plug at the other end to my laser-
> printer. It's #1 here:

Interesting, you neglected to mention the printpack cable in your
"it's so simple" post :~)

> <http://1234zzzz.com/pub/NewtPrintDongles.jpg>
>
> ..... then also, the #2 dongle I picked up on eBay I think but have not
> had time to try it out, but it's called "powerPrint(TM) GDT Softworks,
> Inc.
> Advanced Components & Peripherals" P/N:590-0839. When I have time I'll
> try # 2 on an "older" StyleWriter II ink jet that the #1 was getting
> funky with.
You don't need any fancy pants cable for the stylewriter, just a plain
old mini din 8 to mini din 8, as in the Apple imagewriter cable. You
can find these in buckets full at the local goodwill or value village.

I stand corrected on the vintage of your printer, as the printpack
thing does allow connections to some newer units (those that emulate HP
and have a parallel port). If you have a true HP laser that is old
enough that it has the round mini-din 8 Appletalk card in it, even
better. if you are lucky enough to have an HP with IR, even best!

I can't tell you how many times I have printer on other people's HP's
with infrared from Newton, and they always are spooked. How did you do
that? They never are aware that there printers have that capability.

Marty