Re: [NTLK] The ultimate newthold?

From: Adriano (adriano.angelillis_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 04:18:53 PST

Il giorno 09/nov/05, alle ore 21:52, mkow1234_at_aol.com ha scritto:

> First off, I don't know how important it would be to incorporate a
> keyboard holder. How many "mobile Newton users" actually use their
> keyboards on a day-to-day basis? Probably a small percentage of
> the overall list, I am sure. Personally, I've not plugged a
> keyboard into my Newts in over a year.

I agree with you, but also consider that if i use the MessagePad with
handwriting only,
i would definitely not need anything else than my hands, so why
should i have to use a stand??!

Instead if my intention is to use the MessagePad with its keyboard i
would absolutely
need a stand too, but at this point such stand should have the
capability to hold
all the pieces together, as an agreement to Newton portability
principles.

But why using the MessagePad with a keyboard?

I love to use the Newton original keyboard cause of some quick keys
combinations
that permits to me to quickly use some important functions as copy
paste, reset, quick menus, etc.

Such additional functionalities built in the keyboard driver makes me
typing faster than when using just the pen.

> Lately, I've been wondering if a female threaded mount could be
> installed into the MP 2X00 casing, similar to what is found on the
> back of eMates. With such a mount, it might be convenient to use
> some parts from camera holders or tripods to create a unique Newton
> mounting. Anybody know if there's room to install such a mount in
> an MP 2X00 without compromisig the device's performance or
> structural integrity?
> I would not use a camera tripod, but I could surely throw something
> together with old tripod parts. Just another idea I'm throwing out
> there...

The MessagePad has two small female threaded mounting holes in its back.

I used/tested them on a hard case folder (prototype), and i can say
that such holes
can definitively be used for everything so cool which could come in
your Newtonian mind!

Just published a page called 'Stand hypotesis' starting from here:
http://homepage.mac.com/adriano.angelillis/Prototypes/

> I'm not completely against the holder that incorporates a keyboard,
> just saying that other design considerations might be available.

I think that the very best design for a portable stand should permit
to be used with MP1x0 series too.

Adriano

'Green is better'
http://www.homepage.mac.com/adriano.angelillis/