Re: [NTLK] Native installer for NCU and OS X Update

From: James Grubic (jgrubic_at_bozeman.k12.mt.us)
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 09:40:06 PST

> In the meantime, to fill the 2 or so year gap, I'm keen to either
> internally upgrade my G4 450MHz to 1.3GHz or try to buy one of the
> last dual 1.2 or 1.4 'Mirror Double Door' G4s.

Upgrading the G4/450 (presumably a Sawtooth) is a great idea.

I did this on mine a couple of years ago and it's like a new machine. I
eventually gave the trusty Sawtooth away, and bought a Digital Audio
machine for the AGP speed boost (and kept the same 1.3GHz upgrade).

http://www.macsales.com

If you do buy an upgrade, beware of the cheaper ones which don't have
any L3 cache. Installation is pretty straightforward - just remove the
old one, match up the pins on the new one and get the heat sink
installed. Only 3 screws are involved. No software needs to be
installed, but depending on the upgrade and settings, Apple System
Profiler may not report the correct speed despite the fact that it is
running at the proper speed.

We also have a few MDD units here and they are unusually loud. The fans
seem to kick in and are noticeable. We had one which literally sounded
like an airplane ready to take off. It had every internal part
replacement and Apple eventually gave up and sent us a G5.

James