Re: [NTLK] The ultimate newthold?

From: Michael Schaefer (mpschaefer_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 00:05:44 PST

My 2 Cents.

I've always wanted a stand which cliped onto the Newton, making use of the
indents top and bottom of the case. Which connected straight into the Dock
Connector and had a IR Reciever inline with the IR Port on the Newton.

The Base would then consist of a connection to any Standard PC Keyboard (
PS2, Serial ) plus the Newton Keyboard with Serial, Audio and IR Ports
available.

The Newton was held up on the mount on a ball bearing arrangment which
allows you to rotate the Newton from Portrait to Landsacpe without removing
it from the stand and the Dock Connector triggers a new version of
Auto-Rotate to chenge the screen orientation as this occurs automatically.

The base which also holds the keyboard should have a well for me to stand
the stylus in.

I actually started playing around with the idea a whille ago with some spare
lego bricks ( not much of an industrial designer, should really keep to
Software and Hardware Design ) and looked at replacing the Dock Connector
with something from the RJ series connectors which would allow me to pick
out Serial and Audio from the Newton. In fact more recently I wondered if
something like the Ipod Dock Connector could be retrofitted to a newton (
soldering would of course be required ) to get us up to a more accessable
connector standard.

Michael