Re: [NTLK] Diabetic Meal Planning Software for Newton

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Nov 04 2005 - 06:34:25 PST

---This bcc'ed to some Newtonians who'd expressed interest in diabetic
care apps.---

Subject: Re: [NTLK] Diabetic Meal Planning Software for Newton
From: Jim Witte <jswitte () bloomington ! in ! us>
Date: 2005-09-11 1:56:41

Stumbling across the web, I found a diabetic care Newton package which
up to now hasn't been mentioned on NTLK: Pocket DiabetiCare 1.10 Beta 6
(1997).
I'd be happy if people interested could take a peek at it here
http://www.stillnewt.org/library/_Software/
_Other%20Newton%20Applications/_Health%20and%20Medical%20Software/
_Diabetic%20Care and then post a review or comparison with DietLog or
HealthMate on the Wiki and here.

I'm always fascinated by the cool stuff that was written in the 90s.
Too bad so much of this stuff isn't secured anywhere reliable and will
slowly passes away unnoticed...

>On Sep 10, 2005, at 4:37 PM, Mark Ross wrote:
>> Jim,
>> There is a program called HeathMate which is very comprehensive. It
>> will allow you to not only keep track of your foods and insulin but
>> can calculate your next shot size and has a library of food values,
>> The problem is it is no longer supported and requires a special key
>> that ties it to a particular Newton. I have the card and the Newton
>> its tied to. Contact me off list if interested.
>
> Yes, I would be interested. How does the dongle work? Does it
>key to a particular Newton based on it's processor ID? I'm thinking
>I could probably reverse engineer it (if only by hacing around to
>replace the ID function in the ROM jumptable :) Although it probably
>also uses one or more keys stored somewhere in a soup, and probably
>the user data as well. Uugh.. Time to start working on that package
>decompiler again..

If interested in DietLog and Healthmate, you may want to talk to
Laurent. But you still should think about the decompiler, though... ;=}

Cheers,

DJV.