Re: [NTLK] 2100 not starting

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Thu Nov 03 2005 - 16:33:30 PST

> - software reset: NONE;
> - system reset: NONE;
> - hardware reset: NONE;
> - hard reset: it worked, but the MP2100 chimes and
> turn itself off after half a second, then it turn
> itself on, chimes and another time off after a while
> and so on for at least 12 times, then nothing more...
> What's the next step? suggestions?

I hate to break the bad news, but the next step is getting
a new mainboard. What you describe is in 99 out of 100 cases
caused by having connected a wrong (i. e. non-Newton) power adapter.
In very rare cases (all in all I've seen 2 so far) Newtons
develop this problem out of the blue, even without an
AC adapter connected. Then again, maybe their owners were
simply too ashamed to admit it...

Over the last couple of years I have spent days, if not weeks,
on trying to find the cause of this defect. So far, unfortunately,
in vain.

You might have a chance of getting your mainboard fixed if
you can unearth Dr. Newton aka David Watson. He offers
fixing exactly this defect on his site

        http://www.grapevine.net/~drnewton/

Unfortunately, he seems to have dropped off the planet. I
have sent him a couple of mails over the years, and I also
sent him a big box of the finest German chocolate I could
get my hands on after he disclosed the valuable info on how
to fix the two most frequent defects of a MP130, but I
haven't received an answer to any of this.

If somebody here knows how to reach him, why not ask if he
is willing to disclose this info. Publishing repair instructions
on my site would probably resurrect a couple of dozens of 2x00
Newtons worldwide.

If you want to replace your board and dispose fo the dead one,
please throw it in my direction. I will gladly pay for shipping.
I still hope that one day I will get a board that will disclose
SOME of what has happened. A melted component, a melted copper
connection on the PCB, anything.

Regards

Frank