Re: [NTLK] I am my own grandpa (sysadmin?)

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 02 2005 - 15:10:23 PST

At UUNET I found that when I was issued my first
machine, it was restricted to poweruser only. I could
do most things, but I could not edit the registry or
modify the local user permissions.
After I did some investigations, I noticed one place
where the IT department didn't think of checking...I
was able to create a user and put that user in the
administrators group. Once I created my admin user, I
then gave the user the IT department gave me admin
privs and all was fine (I created several other admin
users just incase they found out about my scheme)
Eventually they found out about what I did, but by
then I was already tier 3 support and I told them that
unless they give me admin access to my machine, I will
just have to break the admin password and put in my
own.
They agreed and told me that once they do that, they
will no longer support my machine...not a problem
since I knew more than they did anyway (outsourced to
EDS...)
Now, I make that part of my negotiations during my
interview. If I don't have admin access to my
computer, I don't work there...It's worked everywhere
I've gone (I haven't worked for the government yet, so
that may be the only place...)
Ed
web/gadget guru
Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton:
http://newton.tek-ed.com

--- Norman Palardy <npalardy_at_great-white-software.com>
wrote:

> On Nov 02, 2005, at 12:48 PM, Ed Kummel wrote:
>
> > If this is truly the case, then your IT people are
> > stupid and incompetent and should be fired. It is
> > uncalled for incompetence like this, that needs to
> be
> > made an example of. There are far too many
> so-called
> > "IT support *experts*" who can't tell their SMTP
> from
> > their SNMP. (if you can't and you're in IT, then
> get
> > out now before you hurt someone)
> > I was given an IBM T42 at a new job after I left
> > MCI/UUNET and within one day, I had scrounged a
> second
> > monitor to run dual displays, fixed the IT's
> > configuration of the wireless network, solved
> world
> > hunger and developed a cure for cancer! (ok, those
> > last two I didn't really do...but it sure sounds
> good
> > on a resume!)
> > Of course, I'm not a normal user, but this isn't
> > rocket science! I mean, it's not like I had to
> write a
> > new display driver for my video card and recompile
> the
> > kernel (linux anyone?) to get it done!
> >
> > Sorry for the rant.
> > Ed
>
> No problem
> I'd have fixed the damned thing IF i could log in as
> the administrator
> but since I was in "Engineering" that was not
> permitted.
>

> --
> This is the NewtonTalk list -
> http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquiries
> Official Newton FAQ:
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/
> WikiWikiNewt for all kinds of articles:
> http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/

"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs