[NTLK] Interest List: USB-001

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Nov 01 2005 - 10:32:24 PST

Subject: [NTLK] Interest List: USB-001
From: Brian Hunter <hunterbri () gmail ! com>
Date: 2005-10-29 21:05:55

> Hello List Members,
> So far I have had a lukewarm response to my proposal to design and
> produce
> the USB-001 board.

Cheers Brian,

you'll get a frenetic response as soon as you build a couple prototypes
and get Frank Gruendel to review one, don't worry.
   And when Frank says it's gold, that's what it is (--and you can be
sure that quite some Euro-Newtonians would consider such a
beast as upgrade whenever they send their Newtons to Frank for any
maintenance and repair, esp. now that Mr PCBMan's SER-001 is sold out).

> One question that perhaps a few 'list regulars' could answer me is
> exactly
> how many people are a part of this list? This could give me some
> indication
> of percentage support based on community size and whether or not there
> is

2122 people. See http://www.newtontalk.net/about.shtml .

What would swing my vote without any further consideration from "what
for"-mode to "must... get... one...!" would be any of these events:

    (1) if you could get in touch with Mr PCBMan and integrate your
design
with any of his ongoing projects (if I have to swap my Ser-001 for
anything
else, I'd prefer a double-purpose solution over just a single one, e.g.
more
internal storage + USB, or Bluetooth + serial, or Bluetooth and USB, or
internal storage and Bluetooth). Mr PCBMan has a very solid reputation,
many
people would not hesitate to pre-order with him (or through folks like
Frank) if there were a brilliant new and affordable must-have product.
    (2) if you could integrate your design with Jake's prototyped
Bluetooth
solution. I mean, we've already seen pics of his board and quizzed him
regarding what it does and how not, and he's integrating this to run
smoothly with Eckhard's Blunt, so this seems all very sweet to me. Throw
your USB design in with his lot, and it'll bee all sweet as honey.
    (3) if I would understand what benefits your solution gave me (can I
run
and power a GPS receiver on it with GPS Map, does it like keyboards,
does it
like multiple devices, can it charge external USB gera, how about
external
storage, how about mounting the Newton as device on a desktop computer,
will
it charge off a desktop machine, what about audio-in/audio-out, how
about
plugging a digital camera to the Newton, and how fast will it transfer
stuff,...) *and* that matched my needs while being affordable (I already
*do* have working solutions that serve my needs which are paid
for--anything
new must bring added benefit: speed increase, less clutter,
multi-purpose in
one piece of hardware, possible new areas of use for the Newton).

So far, I'm not seing anything that is triggering a Pavlovian Newtonist
drool response with me (is it only file transfer desktop-to-Newton?),
but that doesn't mean the project may not at one point do this for me.
Right now, I just don't see what EXACTLY I could do with this, and I
haven't seen anyone test it yet.

I like the idea of seing this done and don't want to discourage you
(much to
the opposite--just sell your idea to me more detailed, more
precisely!), but
all my peripherals can hook up to Ser-001, and I don't feel like
scrapping
those investments. So if'd you want me to switch, tell me what
advantages
will be in for me that might outweigh the $$$ it'll set me back in new
hardware and peripherals I'd have to replace.

Thanks,

D. Vollkasko