Re: [NTLK] internewt

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon May 30 2005 - 17:11:42 PDT

For mail I'm a fan of either SimpleMail or Mail V

Mail V is sort of the direct descendent of SimpleMail, if you use =20
pop3 to access your email, SimpleMail is the one to choose. If you =20
need or prefer to use IMAP then Mail V is the program of choice.

As for browsers - it depends on your needs.

The fullest featured browser is Newtscape - handles images and forms, =20=

can perform a lot of operations related to saving to / converting =20
newtonbooks etc. and is generally a useful tool. It is of course, =20
also the slowest and most memory intensive browser - if you only have =20=

an mp2000 (rather than an upgraded mp2000 or an mp2100) you'll find =20
it a very tight fit to run Newtscape and anything else at the same time.

Courier is perhaps the fastest browser on newton, and pretty much =20
only deals in text. Very clean interface. If you just need to browse =20
sites this one is the pick of the litter.

NetHopper is a somewhat older browser - I haven't used it, but the =20
impression I get from reading discussions about it here is that it is =20=

slightly buggy, requires a couple of patches to handle modern =20
networking and webpages using newer than html1.0 html. Possibly =20
slower than courier, but nowhere as full-featured as Newtscape. Of =20
course - this should be taken with a grain of salt, as I haven't =20
actually used nethopper.

For my purposes I have both a copy of Newtscape and a copy of Courier =20=

on my newton.