[NTLK] Newton 2100 telnets into 10.2.8 over Wi-Fi

From: Adam Ladds (aladds_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 30 2005 - 02:42:14 PDT

Hi list,

Earlier today, I managed to enable telnet access on my iBook running
10.2.8 and connected successfully from my MP2100 over WiFi, this is how
I did it:

Open Terminal.app

Type this: cd /usr/libexec
Then this: sudo -s
Then your admin password
Then this: ./telnetd -debug

Then go to System Prefs and open port 23

Then telnet to your macs IP address (port 23) and login (I've had great
fun initiating applications with the open command)

It's not as secure as ssh, but it'll work until someone manages to
create a newton ssh client anyway.

Oh, and BTW. It will stop the daemon after you disconnect. If you need
to have it enabled all the time, edit the /etc/inetd.conf file so the
line:

#telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/libexec/tcpd telnetd

looks like this:

telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/libexec/tcpd telnetd

(i.e. remove the # to uncomment it)

Please note that I have not had time to test this second method so it
may not work. You will need to open the port whichever method you use.

Remember this is telnet, so the usual considerations apply, everything
is in plain text!

cheers

Adam

P.S. Remember that I used 10.2.8, I have not got access to a mac
running 10.3 or later so cannot say if it works on that.
This is a poor sig.