[NTLK] Trouble syncing via Basilisk

From: Marcus Hammerschmitt (Marcus.Hammerschmitt_at_t-online.de)
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 03:54:27 PDT

Hello all!

I've been working with a Newton Messagepad 2100 alright
for one year now, syncing it both to a Win98SE- and a
WinXP machine via the serial connector. Fine and reliable,
but slow - you know the problem.

Recently I thought about connecting and syncing via ethernet. Prime
reason: wanted to check out the Newton as MP3-player

http://www.40hz.org/MADNewton/

which requires the handling of larger amounts of data. Secondary
reason: Wanted to sync faster on my XP-machine. Got me an
Etherlink III 3C589D-TP card, which installed easily with the appropriate
drivers on the Newton. Had an ethernet connection configured in Internet
Setup. Made sure the Newton talked Appletalk like Ethertalk and it used
the right card too.

Had Basilisk ready first on the Win98-, then on the XP boxes.
Got it up and running fine with that disk image Victor has prepared
(what a fine hack, Victor). Had the Ethernet drivers installed
(Win9x variant on Win98SE box, WinNT and 2000 variant on XP machine).
Windows network on both machines says the protocols are
there and bound firmly to the ethernet adapters. Made sure
NCU within the emulated Macs used AppleTalk. Plugged in.
Tried to connect. Nothing happened. Newton couldn't find the
"Mac", apparently no packets sent, nothing. Changed Basilisk
builds (from 142 to JIT and back), deinstalled and reinstalled,
changed ROMs, increased and decreased memory, changed
on the Mac to "OpenTransport" and back, started filesharing
and program sharing, looked into the MacTCP settings and
left them unchanged, checked with the chooser if indeed AppleTalk
was active (it was), changed the "multicast packets" and the
"Identifying self" settings in the Ethernet tab
(Basilisk preferences) - to absolutely no avail.

Symptoms were always like this:

I tapped "Search for macintoshes" in Dock-Window on the Newton,
Newton Lightbulb appears on the screen, the green diode on the dongle
attached to the Etherlink-card lightsup briefly, the goes dark again.
No reaction with the NCU or on the emulated Mac whatsoever.

What gives?

Noticed things which might mean something or not:

* On both "Macs" (the one on the Win98SE and on the WinXP
machine) after trying to configure the network ethernet-wise
"Network" couldn't be found anymore under "control panels".
Simply vanished.

* In the XP-machine's Basilisk Config Tool (which is the hacked one to
make JIT-things possible) the network adapter doesn't
show up as something Realtek (which it is), but as a string
of numbers and characters in brackets, which looks very
much like a windows registry string. ?

* I don't know if I'm using the right connection cable. Tested
two different network cables, the results were the same. Does
one have to use a cable with special specs to get the job done?

Can anybody help?

Best regards,

Marcus

http://www.cityinfonetz.de/homepages/hammerschmitt/high.html