Re: [NTLK] OT: PDA recommendations again

From: John Stairs (stairsj_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed May 25 2005 - 10:09:28 PDT

On May 25, 2005, at 8:12 AM, Thomas Isenbarger wrote:

> <<snip>>
> She has a white iBook at home and some sort of Windows box at work
> running Outlook. Most importantly she'd like to be able to sync the
> calendar on the Palm with the one on Outlook, and beyond that syncing
> Outlook contacts and her iBook calendars and contacts are important.

I am a Palm (actually Clie) user in addition to be a Newton user. She
will have no trouble do what you said was required above. I have a
Powerbook that went back and forth from home to work but was required
to use a windows machine at work. I finally decide to simplify things
by getting a small palm devise I could put in my pocket and transfer
things back and forth from my Apples at home and Windows at work.
Worked like a charm.

> Will this be difficult? If there is any small bit of troubleshooting
> or bump in the road getting this to work she is liable to say having
> the Palm is not worth the trouble. Does syncing with the desktop or
> laptop still happen through the Palm desktop client? Are there ways
> to sync directly with Outlook?
> <<snip>>

This is pretty straight forward on both systems, but she will have to
purchase Missing Sync for Palm to get the Mac side functioning. Palm
decided not to update Palm Desktop for the Apple so to get a new palm
running on an Apple you will have to buy this extra program.
Fortunately it is available on the Palm site. Missing Sync is a great
program and it is far better than the old Palm Desktop which kept
many features available on Windows from the Mac user.

You might want to purchase 2 docks to ease the pain of syncing and to
keep the recharged. I opted for a miniSync which costs about a third
of what a full blown dock would cost.

Hope this helps you make an informed decision.

---
John Stairs
stairsj_at_mac.com
...nothing is more painful than regret...
...NO FEAR!