Re: [NTLK] Holux GR-213 GPS mouse + Newton

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 11:25:51 PDT

Subject: Re: [NTLK] Holux GR-213 GPS mouse + Newton
From: "Ola Tuvesson" <ola () mikrogroove ! com>
Date: 2005-05-23 1:15:56

Apologies that I haven't joined the discussion before (I think), didn't
have
the time. Well, you can find much of what I'd have had to say on
the Wiki. Not that I know anything, but between Marco Mailand's
postings in
NTLK archives and Ron and Adriano's coaching, I don't think I've put up
too
mcuh worng stuff.

> Thanks for your reply, looks like I'll be getting myself a Holux then!

Great, could you update
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/GPSHardware for the Holux
receiver? Please? Specs, prices, buy where, what's in your opinion
better
than with AQ-300, PGM-111 and other receivers, etc.

> Once
> they become available that is, it's only just been launched...

That's why I went for the AQmax AQ-300: It was available, and the
cheapest
solution around (EUR 50,--), a solid device and a joy to run (so far).

Downside: Manufacturer website in Chinese, no download page, no worky
OS X
drivers for USB adapter (I found these later on Prolific website, works
great!). Manual instructions to configuring the receiver only apply to
Windows, so you have to configure via terminal programm (something about
this: see wiki; more soon (hopefully)).
        Yes, it is recommendable to switch unnecessary GPS sentences OFF,
else the Newton's GPS apps will be swamped with data and might give back
communication errors: "You should use $GPGGA and $GPVTC only if
possible."
(GPS Map developer Gerd Staudenmaier), Marco also recommended three
years
ago using RMC (see http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/GPSMap
).
        Anything besides these three sentences has to shut up (my AQ-300
sends GGA, GLL, GSA, GSV, RMC and VTG every second...!). And then set
GGA,
VTC and RMC to send their sentences only every two to five seconds. You
adapter will have a default setting of several more sentences coming in
short intervals (both: see manual) which may make the Newton's GPS app
unhappy.

Talking about app, where are you located -- somewhere in the Americas or
Europe? For US and Canada, Teletype GPS is nice (many NavPoints), and
GPS
Map is cool because you can make your own maps (and it has very good
features).
[Q] How can we build a custom-package of Nav points for upload to GPS
Map?

> As for the
> interface, as long as I can get the pinouts I'll be able to solder
> myself a
> new cable without too much trouble.

Good! For AQ-300, pinouts are in the manual (see link from
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/AQ-300 ). Don't know how
Holux
handles that...

> It's for an MP2k with internal serial
> adapter so I'll be putting a MiniDIN-8 male on instead of the PS/2.

Yes, that will work if you get the pinout right. BUT: I wouldn't do it
this
way.

I haven't really thought much about this *before* buying my GPS
receiver,
but there *may* be the time when you want to use the receiver with
something
else besides a Newton (e.g. desktop computer, some laptop, at home, in
the
car, etc.). Change plug to MiniDIN9(M), and you've painted yourself in a
corner.
        I left the PS/2(F) connector as-is, and connect with Adriano
Angelillis' brilliant NewtNaw adapter to the Newton. To any other device
that has USB, I connect with optional USB-serial bridge adaptor cable
with
Prolific's PL-2303 chip (needs Prolific's drivers on USB host computer;
available for OS X, OS 9.x, WinCE, Windows...), manufacturer p/n is
"C3001
USB" and it costs EUR 15,-- incl. postage (would have been cheaper if I
had
bought it right away...).
        Possibly even smarter (in terms of multiple connectivity options)
would be to buy a GPS mouse with DB9(M) connector, and use a
DB9(F)-to-MiniDIN9(M) cable (Newton PC connection cable) to connect to
the
Newton, and an USB-to-serial adaptor with DB9(F) connector for USB.
Then one
could plug into Newton, into anything with USB, and without any extra
cables
into any old PC's DB9/DB25 COM port... But I needed small-to-pack gear
without sharp metal edges that might damage my waterproof bags and
cases, so
the NewtNav solution suits my needs perfect.

Included with the AQ-300 for EUR 50,-- was a car charger/Y-adaptor.
Handy
for automotive use, just as soon as I've decided what plug to put on
there.
Now: PS/2(M) for AQ-300 and some stupid proprietary PDA plug -- the
latter
could
(a) either become MiniDIN9(M) and plug into Newton, which would then
also
draw power from the car charger (safe?),
(b) change into a second PS/2(F), so it can plug into the C3001-USB
adapter
and work with a laptop, etc., and with my MP2k via NewtNav, or
(3) turn into DB9(F) to offer max options (but do I need them?).

What do you folks think?

Regards,

'Kasko

P.S.: Oh, while I'm at it -- GPS Map offers it's own -10061 bug fix. I
remember somebody (Marco? Johannes?) saying, that enabling this bug fix
in
GPS Map's i/Prefs would slow the application down badly (which would
make
original MP 2000 the better choice over upgraded MP 2000 and MP 2100,
as the
error wouldn't exist there and the fix thus need no be enabled).
[Q1] How is that exactly with this error, what triggers it?
[Q2] Which other bug fixes exist for -10061, what is the difference
between
them, and would it be better to use these than GPS Maps' internal fix?
What
would be the advantages, and how to these come about?