Re: [NTLK] [ANN] New E-Book Challenge: Free & Open Source History,

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu May 19 2005 - 10:49:20 PDT

> Subject: Re: [NTLK] [ANN] New E-Book Challenge: Free & Open Source
> History,
> From: Dan <dan () dbdigitalweb ! com>
> Date: 2005-05-18 22:53:38
>
>> Now I have two brilliant and exciting new challenges for you. If you
>> want to do something for the community, become as celebrated a
>> Newtonian as Dan (long way to go, but a journey of a thousand leagues
>> starts with the first step!),
>
> *Snip*
>
> LOL! Thanks for the plug, but I don't know if it was quite that good
> lol.

It is new to the Newton, and even brandnew (2005 published and released
under Creative Commons License), so that's good enough for me. ;=}

> But hopefully someone is enjoying it though. :)

I am, right now, actually.

Pretty good yarn, too, or let's say the basic idea is somewhat original
within a fantasy context (the world exists in three spheres that
overlap
occasionally and let folks who are in the know -- humans, magical
critters, angels, demons, etc. -- switch from one sphere to another,
and a blind assassin and her unwitting
tattoist-turned-spook-seer-who-just-wants-to-lose-his-monster-sight-
and-get-it-all-over-with sidekick get a job offer they can't refuse...
And there are airships! You gotta luv anything with airships and
balloons and blimps in it -- Cyrano de Bergerac's 17th cent SciFi,
Jules Verne's Five Weeks inna Balloon, Burroughs' John Carter of
Mars-books, Bobby Conn's records -- yeah, you gotta love Bobby! Gonna
see him play week after next in my town... Bobby rulez! And rockz! And
grooves! And has a message! Or five! Buy his records now! See his show
today! Be a better person tomorrow! Who cares! It's Bobby Conn, man!
Bobby Conn! -- Uh, let's get back on topic, shall we...).
        If you're suffering from brainrot after watching too much "Buffy" or
"Angel" and think "Charmed" stinks, Kadrey's "Blind Shrike" might be
for you. Not necessarily sword & sorcery-fantasy, but something like it
(guts & sorcery? melee & magic?), and the starting point is San
Francisco, 2005 AD, so there's something familiar (notice how there's a
whole genre of contemporary fantasy horror since "Interview with the
Vampire" first can out?). (The only thing I can hold against the book
so far is a phrase that went something like "muslim ornament" -- pretty
braindead, should have been "arabic ornament" or "arabesque" or
"oriental ornament", as it doesn't have the slightest thing to do with
any religions belief, it's just an ornament, and as such, it's one in
an oriental/Near Eastern/Arabic style... Geez, what DO they teach the
keedz these days...!? ;=} )

So once more and again -- muy obrigado, Dan, and let's see who will
take up the current challenges!

DJV.