[NTLK] Windows XP with Newton

From: Michael Blazer (m.blazer_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Wed May 18 2005 - 12:22:40 PDT

Some Windows-related questions from a Mac user, so please pardon my ignorance...

My workplace is planning a desktop upgrade that will take us from Windows NT4 running on
Pentium II machines to Windows XP, presumably on newer machines.

Up till now, I've been happily using my MP2100 at work and connecting with a serial cable
to NCU and Newton Press on the PC, for the occasional document transfer or package
install. (I haven't been able to get backups to work, but I do backups on a card and on
an old Mac at home, so it isn't really an issue.)

My question is, will I be able to continue in this way on the new systems? I checked the
FAQ and the Wiki and found out that NCU will run on XP (is this really true?), but
couldn't find any such info about Newton Press. Anybody know?

Also, if the new machines don't have serial ports (do new PCs have serial ports?), will I
be able to use a USB/serial adapter, and will I need to get a driver installed? Are
there other solutions to make the physical connection? I don't think I'll be able to use
TCP/IP because they have our network locked down, and the DHCP server won't talk to my
Newton.

Thanks in advance for any info. I have to let the IT department know what software I
will need to use so they can add it to their "authorized but unsupported" list. I fear
that if something isn't on the list I won't even be able to install it later.

Michael